Monday, September 30, 2013

Utah basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak foils bike thief

The college basketball season hasn't tipped off but Utah Utes basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak scored a victory off the court. Krystokwiak channeled his inner Encyclopedia Brown and caught a bike thief.

Krystkowiak was on the way to his office at the Huntsman Center and ended up detaining a suspicious middle-age man who caught his attention by riding a bicycle and pulling another one near the arena around 7:30 a.m.

"He started telling me all kinds of stories," Krystkowiak said. "I guess it was a good way to start the day."

“He could have just probably dropped one of the bikes and outrun me on his bike, but he was dumb enough to stop,” Krystkowiak said. “Then I began my questioning and I kind of smelled a rat.”

The 6-9 Krystowiak was a former NBA player so I suppose that the thief had no idea what he was up against.

Krystokwiak approached the man and told him to sit down while he called campus police. The police discovered five stolen phones in the thief's possession.

"The guy asked me if I was going to chase him if he attempted to run," Krystkowiak said Saturday night. "I told him that if he tried to run, I was going to chase him and tackle him. Honestly, I was hoping that he’d run. I guess a good thief would’ve run before I caught up to him."

“I don’t know how smart it was,” Krystkowiak said. “You never know what a guy has got in his pocket or up his sleeve.”

“I’ve always been a little eager to catch somebody so it was good,” he said.

Krystkowiak is in his third season at Utah and it looks like the Utes are improving. Hopefully for the fans he'll be able to score some wins on the court.




No comments: