Sunday, December 22, 2013

Notre Dame's Jerian Grant dismissed from the basketball team for an academic issue

The Notre Dame basketball team’s chances of making an impact in its first ACC season have taken a severe hit with news that star guard Jerian Grant will miss the rest of the season for academic reasons.

Grant, a preseason All-ACC selection who is averaging 19.2 points and 6.2 assists, announced his own suspension with a statement posted on the Irish’s official web site.

“It is with regret and sorrow that I inform you that I am no longer enrolled at the University of Notre Dame due to an academic matter that I did not handle properly,” Grant said in the statement. “As a result, I am no longer part of the basketball program and will not be on the court competing with my teammates for the remainder of the 2013-14 season. I take full responsibility for my lack of good judgment and the poor decision that I made.”

The 6-foot-5 junior indicated in his statement that he intends return to Notre Dame next year and earn his degree. Because he already redshirted as a freshman, he will only have one season of eligibility remaining.

"It is my full intention to return to Notre Dame as soon as possible following the 2014 spring semester. I intend to do whatever it takes to earn my degree and finish out my college basketball career here. I understand that there is a process that I must go through in order to come back to school and I will be patient with that process."

Grant is the second high-profile player to be lost for the season by a top ACC team because of an off-the-court issue. On Friday, North Carolina announced it would not seek reinstatement for its top returning scorer from last year, P.J. Hairston, because of NCAA eligibility issues.

No comments: